In 2021, there are several hot topics of debate. This includes election integrity, the southern border situation, the Second Amendment, and the ongoing “woke” agenda.
But we’ve also seen rising interest in the Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice battle. Both sides are becoming more vocal, and we could soon see some historical rulings on the subject.
However, one state vows to uphold its principles, no matter what the Supreme Court says.
For years, Texas has been a pretty solid Pro-Life state. Having a mostly Republican contingency in office, it’s no surprise that their policies would lean toward protecting the unborn children.
And current Governor Greg Abbott wants to keep it that way.
Abbott just signed the “trigger bill” and despite its title, it doesn’t involve the Second Amendment. Instead, it focuses on the legendary Roe v. Wade decision, which might be hanging in the balance.
It’s simple: if the Supreme Court decides to reverse Roe v. Wade, this will “trigger” Texas to take action.
It’s called the “Human Life Protection Act of 2021” and it will immediately ban abortion given one of the three following circumstances (via The Daily Wire):
- The issuance of a United States Supreme Court judgment in a decision overruling, wholly or partly, Roe v. Wade, as modified by Planned Parenthood v. Casey, thereby allowing the states of the United States to prohibit abortion;
- The issuance of any other United States Supreme Court judgment in a decision that recognizes, wholly or partly, the authority of the states to prohibit abortion;
- Adoption of an amendment to the United States Constitution that, wholly or partly, restores to the states the authority to prohibit abortion.
Roe v. Wade is the momentous 1973 ruling that protected abortion under the Fourteenth Amendment.
But despite that decision, Texas never reversed its policies “that prohibit and criminalize abortion unless the mother’s life is in danger.” And Gov. Abbott wants to maintain this pledge.
The Governor stated that he’s interested in creating “a culture of life” with this bill:
The most precious freedom of all is life itself.
Our Creator endowed us with the right to life, and yet millions of children lose their lives every year before they’re even born.
I’m signing a law today that will save babies from the ravages of abortion.
However, the battle rages on.
State Rep. Bryan Slaton (R-TX) reminds everyone that unfortunately, there’s little chance the Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade, so the “trigger bill” probably won’t ever take effect.
In order to keep protecting the unborn, more must be done.
Slaton said that in fact, “states must be willing to stand up and ban [abortion] with or without the Court’s permission.” Of course, this is likely to annoy leftists who wholeheartedly support the practice.
Even so, Gov. Abbott has made a statement with his legislation.
And it’s a statement that millions can get behind, which is why Texas is looking better and better to more conservative-minded citizens right now. Especially those who want to protect the children.
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed the “trigger bill” to protect unborn children.
- It would go into effect if the Supreme Court ever reversed Roe v. Wade, or if two other circumstances are met.
- Rep. Bryan Slaton added that other states need to be willing to ban abortion, “with or without the Court’s permission.”
Source: The Daily Wire